Call Today 303.622.3281

Colorado Disorderly Conduct Laws

Whether you are accused of disturbing the peace or fighting in public in Colorado, you could be charged with “disorderly conduct.” Depending on the facts and circumstances of the case, a disorderly conduct charge can either be a misdemeanor or a petty offense. 

In order to commit disorderly conduct in Colorado, a person must knowingly, intentionally, or recklessly commit any of the following acts: 

  • Make an offensive or coarse utterance in public or unreasonable noise near private property that he/she has no right to be in. These actions can be charged as a Class 1 petty offense, punishable by a maximum jail sentence of six months and/or a fine of no more than $1,000. 

  • Fighting in public, which is a Class 3 misdemeanor that carries a jail term of up to six months and/or a maximum fine of $50. 

  • Discharging a firearm, displaying a dangerous weapon, or threatening either act in a public place is a Class 2 misdemeanor, punishable by a maximum jail term of 12 months and/or a fine of up to $1,000. 

There are two other similar charges like disorderly conduct in Colorado: public nuisance and harassment. Public nuisance means any conduct that would disturb the peace in a residential area or a place where people meet, while harassment means speaking, taunting, or touching someone in an obscene manner. 

Common examples of public nuisance include gambling, prostitution/solicitation, drug dealing, and serving liquor to minors and underage adults. Depending on the specific offense, a conviction can result in a lengthy jail sentence and/or a costly fine. 

Harassment is generally a Class 3 misdemeanor. However, if the offender was motivated by the victim’s actual or perceived race, nationality, ancestry, or religion, then the offense is a Class 1 misdemeanor, which carries a jail sentence of up to 18 months and/or a maximum fine of $5,000. 

If you have been arrested for disorderly conduct in Denver or within the surrounding area, contact the Law Offices of David L. Owen, Jr., P.C. today at (303) 622-3281 for a free consultation.