Call Today 303.622.3281
Loved One Facing Criminal Charges?

Denver Juvenile Crimes Attorney

Serving Denver and Surrounding Counties

It can be a terrifying experience for a parent to learn his or her child has been arrested. However, juvenile law is incredibly different from adult criminal law. Unlike adult criminal law, which is mostly punitive, juvenile criminal law makes the assumption children can change for the better.

If your child has been arrested or is being charged with a crime, don’t hesitate to call me. I have 33 years of criminal defense law experience to offer you and your family. Let me take a look at the situation and offer advice about your best course of action.

Contact me at (303) 622-3281 or fill out the online contact form to get your case started today.

Custody and Detention

Children who are taken into custody are entitled to an initial hearing on the validity of their arrest and detention. At this hearing, the state must prove someone committed an offense, and there is reasonable cause to believe the child was that offender. If the state wants to detain the juvenile, it must prove the child is a danger to himself or others, has a past record that warrants detention, or is likely to run away if released. This hearing must also happen within 48 hours of being detained. During this hearing, a judge can release the child into the custody of his or her parents, send the juvenile to a shelter facility, release the child on summons, or deny bond and detain the accused.

Adjudication and Sentencing

In an advisement hearing, a minor can enter a plea of guilty or not guilty. If the plea is not guilty, the child can set the matter for trial before a judge or magistrate. A jury is only involved when the juvenile is accused of committing a violent crime. If he or she is found guilty, the court can enter an order adjudicating a juvenile to be a delinquent (meaning he or she is convicted).

The judge then has a number of options for sentencing, including:

  • Probation
  • Placement in a hospital
  • Fines
  • Reimbursement of any victims for damages
  • Placement with relatives or into the custody of the county department of social services
  • County jail/ community corrections
  • Commitment to the Department of Human Services for anywhere from 2 months to 7 years

Call Me About Your Case Today

Let me see what I can do for you and your child. I offer same-day appointments and am available on weekends and evenings by request. As a former federal public defender, I understand the tactics of the opposition and can aggressively represent the best interests of your child.

Call me at (303) 622-3281 or use the online form to schedule your free case consultation. I am available for evening and weekend appointments and can even make jail visits.

Tough Defense Strategies for Tough Criminal Charges

  • Fight to reduce, dismiss, or acquit your charges.

  • Keep you informed of your case at all times.

  • Available for evening, weekend appointments and jail visits.

  • Former first assistant federal public defender.

  • Complimentary and confidential consultations.

  • Will travel to you to hear your side of the story